Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Weekend Wrap

Well if you haven't heard, the Orlando Magic will be facing my beloved Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals. Dwight Howard and the Magic took care of LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals, and consequently thwarted the NBA's dream of having a Kobe Bryant-LeBron James Finals matchup. 

The one thing I said all year long was that the Cleveland Cavaliers were not as good as everyone thought, and what do you know I was right. I called it when everyone was bowing down to Cleveland in the middle of the season. I said they wouldn't win the championship or even make the Finals for that matter. I can't even begin to tell you how much grief I got for that, after all I was disrespecting LeBron James, and God forbid I say anything bad about LeBron! Well I wasn't saying anything bad, I was saying the truth, which is Cleveland is overrated. Here's something else I said earlier this year: LeBron James WILL NOT win an NBA Championship in Cleveland as long as the roster remains the way it is right now. I'm sorry, but were people really that stupid to think Cleveland was going to win it all when the second best player on the team is freaking MO WILLIAMS????? That's why I said Cleveland would not win it all, because outside of LeBron James, the rest of that team SUCKS! I don't care if LeBron is the best player in basketball, the fact is he CANNOT and WILL NOT win with the roster Cleveland has now. The Cavs front office needs to make some changes and bring another superstar to complement LeBron. If they are smart, then they should free up some cap space for next summer when guys like Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh will be free agents. Of course they also have to make sure that they bring back LeBron since he will be a free agent as well.

My first thoughts on the NBA Finals: It's a very interesting matchup and one that should provide for an intruiging series. The Magic beat the Lakers both times they played in the regular season, however Jameer Nelson was the thorn in the Lakers side when they played, and Nelson likely will not play in the Finals due to a shoulder injury. The Magic have the best center in the game in Dwight Howard, yet the Lakers have the best player in the game in Kobe Bryant. This will be a tough matchup, and I will write a preview on Thursday, but I really do believe the Lakers will win this series, largely in part to the fact that they have home-court advantage. The format in the NBA Finals is 2-3-2, so Game 1 & 2 will be in LA, Game 3, 4, & 5 will be in Orlando, and Game 6 & 7 will be in LA. Let's face it, the Magic are not going to beat the Lakers in five games, so if they are going to win the title, they will likely have to do it on LA's home-court, which will be difficult. Finals preview to come Thursday

Great news today as I found out I'll be going to the Dodger game tomorrow night. Tomorrow night will be my first game at Chavez Ravine this season as the Dodgers will play host to the Arizona Diamondbacks. I saw the Dodgers play at Arizona earlier this year, so this will not be my time seeing the Dodgers in person this year. Should be fun, and I'm looking forward to eating quite a few Dodger Dogs and hopefully witnessing a victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment