Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lakers Championship Parade!

Today was truly a remarkable day, and one that I will never forget. Five of my friends and I went to the Lakers Championship Parade to celebrate the 15th NBA Championship of the Lake Show's glorious franchise history. It really was an experience unlike any other and is one that every Laker fan should partake in at least once in his or her lifetime.


The ceremony was held at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, home to many historic moments in sports, now including a moment in Laker Basketball. The gates opened at 9:00 am, yet people started lining up as early as 3:30 in the morning. My friends and I got down there at 6:45 am, and there were already at least 20,000 screaming Laker fans waiting to get in. There were many gates for fans to enter through, but this was the gate I came through. As you can tell it was just a huge mob trying to get in as quickly as possible.

The stage setup was awesome. They actually brought in the court from the Staples Center and used it for the platform from which the players spoke. 


This was one of the many signs that were given to Laker fans prior to entering the Coliseum. I was in Laker heaven today. As a die-hard fan, I couldn't think of anything better than being with 95,000 other die-hard fans cheering for arguably the greatest franchise in sports. An hour before the Lakers even arrived at the Coliseum, there were thunderous chants of "Let's Go Lakers", "MVP" (referring to Kobe Bryant of course), and "Boston Sucks". It was great.
As mentioned there were close to 100,000 people in attendance. I should note that almost 50% of the stadium had been filled by the time I had entered. It was crazy. Today really proved that the die-hard Laker fans are the best fans in the NBA, hands down.
In the end, the Lakers gathered at the center of the stage and jumped around. The team is in the white, you can't see them too well, but I tried my best to get a picture with the zoom on my camera. Purple and gold confetti fell onto the fans of the city and franchise that had been hungry for a championship for the past seven years. Dreams became a reality, as the championship season was complete. What a way to end such a memorable year for the Los Angeles Lakers. A year ago they were embarrassed by the hated Boston Celtics, and now they are NBA Champions. The past few days have been the happiest days of the year for me. It's going to be a long few months until next season, but with another season comes the hopes of another championship and another parade. I tried finding the youtube video of "I Love LA", but I was unsuccessful. You should all know it, it's the song for the best fans in the world that honors the best city in the world. Right now there are four words that I can say in honor of the Lakers: REPEAT and I LOVE LA!!!












2 comments:

  1. must be one of ur happiest moments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out bro :) Love the pics, wish I could have been there waving my lakers flags from 8 years ago.

    ReplyDelete