Saturday, May 23, 2009

So What?

So I guess making one game-winning shot in the playoffs all of the sudden makes you the greatest player ever right? Well, that's the way people are making it seem from LeBron James' buzzer-beater in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Finally, "King James" comes through himself when the game is on the line. LeBron hit a miracle 3-pointer that gave the Cleveland Cavaliers a 96-95 win over the Orlando Magic. There were over 25 status updates from friends I have on facebook that related to LeBron's shot. Statuses ranged from "LeBron James is not human" to "LeBron James will be the greatest player of all-time." I'm sorry, but does ONE game-winning shot all of the sudden make you the greatest player ever? What if LeBron had missed that shot? Would people be saying that Hedo Turkoglu is the greatest player ever? For crying out loud, Turkoglu's shot that put the Magic ahead with one second left in the game wasn't exactly a gimme shot, and I don't hear anyone giving him credit. Settle down people, it's one shot. I only wish that LeBron would have missed that shot, I can only imagine the number of excuses people would have given as to why he was unsuccessful. I'm sure he would have been "fouled" or gotten pushed or something like that, after all LeBron can no wrong, so if he had missed a potential game-winning shot, it wouldn't have been his fault. 

The fact is, LeBron's shot didn't just win Cleveland the game, it saved their season. Cleveland was 39-2 at home in the regular season, yet they were one second away from losing the first two games of the Eastern Conference Finals in front of their fans. Had it not been for LeBron's miracle, Orlando would have swept the series, guaranteed. Cleveland had a 23 point lead in the game and blew all of it. Once again, were it not for LeBron, this series would be over. Assuming there are no more miracle game-winning shots from LeBron the remainder of the series, I'm expecting Orlando to easily win the series and advance to the NBA Finals. I hope people can finally start to realize that Cleveland is not as good as people think. I have said that this entire year, and even if Cleveland gets to the NBA Finals, they will not win the championship. Cleveland's record against the Lakers, Celtics, and Magic in the regular season was a combined 2-6. Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals is tomorrow at 5:00 in Orlando. Oh I forgot to mention the last time Cleveland played Orlando in Orlando, they lost by 29 points. Best of luck Cleveland!

It really is ridiculous that the media and NBA fans portray everything LeBron James does to be the best thing ever. It's a shame because all of this sucking up to LeBron makes me dislike him, even though I don't want to. I mean my goodness this guy hasn't won a championship and people are already calling him the greatest player that will ever play the game. I try really hard not to mention Kobe Bryant when I talk about LeBron James, but I usually end up having to so I can prove a point. Let's see, when Kobe Bryant was LeBron's age, he had THREE NBA Championships. Whether Kobe winning three titles was because Shaquille O'Neal was on the team is not important, Kobe has the titles, end of story. It is sickening to see the treatment LeBron gets by everyone, it really is. Did you see the expression on LeBron's face after he hit the game-winning shot? He looked like he had never hit a game-winning shot in his life. I'll give the guy credit, the shot he made was incredible, but that is the first time LeBron has won a game that mattered in his career with a buzzer-beater. Enough of my ranting, after all people reading this probably can't believe there is someone who doesn't like LeBron James. It's not that I don't like him, it's just the constant sucking up that bothers me. As a Laker fan, I really hope the Lakers and the Cavaliers can win their respective series so the LeBron-Kobe matchup will take place, and we can see Kobe Doin' Work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment