Monday, May 4, 2009

Houston, We Have A Problem

Well that wasn't exactly the result I was hoping to see. The Houston Rockets shocked the world after they beat the Los Angeles Lakers 100-92 in Game 1 of their best of seven series. Yao Ming had 28 points and 10 rebounds, and Ron Artest added 21 points for the Rockets, who are playing in the second round for the first time since 1997. Kobe Bryant scored 32 points and did his best to keep the Lakers in the game despite playing with a sore throat. Bryant scored 22 of the final 42 points for the Lakers, who lost at home in the playoffs for only the second time in the past 15 games.

I can't find the proper word to describe my feelings on this game. Upset? Frustrated? Worried? Annoyed? Well all of those words can apply after watching the Lakers pathetic performance. Give a lot of credit to Houston. They were better on offense, they were more physical, and they were out to prove that they will not be intimidated by the Lakers. Every time the Lakers made a run, the Rockets would respond with a run of their own, as they were in control of the game the entire time. While I'll give credit to Houston, I can't help but to note on how poorly the Lakers played. Two stats that stick out are that the Lakers went 2-of-18 from three point land, and they went 12-of-19 from the free throw line. Pau Gasol was pathetic and so was Lamar Odom. Gasol finished with 14 points and 13 rebounds, however he got a few baskets in garbage time. Odom had nine points and five rebounds, and went 1-of-6 from the free throw line. While Kobe had 32 points, it took him 31 shots to get there. It's clear the Lakers do not do well when Kobe shoots a lot, as they are 2-7 in the last nine playoff games Kobe has taken more than 30 shots. 

I love Phil Jackson, I usually don't criticize or judge any coaching moves he makes, but I was not pleased with the fact that Andrew Bynum barely played. In 15 minutes of play, Bynum had 10 points on 5-of-10 shooting. I really don't understand why Bynum was sitting on the bench for most of the second half, he played solid defense on Yao Ming while he was in, and he was actually able to make his shots unlike Gasol. It makes no sense to me, but I don't have nine championship rings so I'll leave it to Phil to make the coaching moves.

The good thing is that it's a seven game series, and there is still plenty of basketball to be played. The Lakers lost home-court advantage, but if there is any team that I can trust to win a game on the road, it's the Lakers. It was a week since the Lakers last played, and they sure showed signs of rust. I expect the Lakers to rebound and win Game 2, but at the same time, I expect Houston to come out with a fire as their confidence is sky high right now. Game 2, which is Wednesday night at 7:30 in Los Angeles is now a must win for the Lakers. 

So how about them Dodgers? The Blue Crew won again tonight, as they improved their major league leading record to 19-8, and 11-0 at home, which is the best start at home in National League history. Manny Ramirez and Andre Eithier hit back-to-back home runs for the Dodgers, who have now won five in a row. The Dodgers are one win away from tying the best home start in major league history. Hopefully they can keep up their stellar play, but as I said before, I care way more about the Lakers right now and really can't fully enjoy the Dodgers success just yet. 

WWE Monday Night Raw was less than stellar tonight, but it was still entertaining enough to help me forget about the Lakers loss. Randy Orton and The Legacy injured Shane McMahon, as they "shattered" his ankle with a steel chair. Shane O'Mac will probably be out of action for quite some time with his "injury". Judgement Day is two weeks away, but I doubt it will be a good Pay-Per-View as the matches scheduled so far really aren't anything to get excited about. 

Tomorrow is my last regular day of class, and then I start finals on Thursday. I am done with school a week from tomorrow. Today's forecast in Phoenix: Sunny with a high of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment