Sunday, October 18, 2009

Weekend Wrap

Let's start with the good news from the weekend, which is that Arizona State improved to 4-2 after a 24-17 victory over Washington last night. Sun Devil Quarterback Danny Sullivan threw a 50-yard touchdown pass to Chris McGaha with five seconds left to win the game for the Sun Devils. ASU is now 2-1 in Pac-10 play, and will travel to Palo Alto next weekend to take on the Stanford Cardinal.

With his late heroics, Sullivan somewhat redeemed himself for his terrible play this season. It's funny that the same Sun Devil fans that were booing him two weeks ago against Oregon State are now acting like he's a hero. Obviously they've forgotten that Sully is the reason why ASU lost in Georgia, and that he is one of the main reasons why ASU lost to Oregon State. Call me crazy, but if ASU had a decent offense, they would be undefeated right now. Nonetheless Sullivan's confidence is high right now, which is good since the Sun Devils are entering the toughest part of their schedule. I just can't help but to think that the Sun Devils will have a letdown against Stanford. I hope I'm wrong, but until ASU can prove that they can follow up a big win with another win, I'll always be skeptical to pick them, therefore, I'm picking Stanford to beat ASU.

I was up in the press box for the game, and since I was with other members of the media, I got to meet Petros Papadakis, who was doing to TV commentary for FSN West. Papadakis, the co-host of the Petros & Money Show on Fox Sports Radio, is one of my favorite radio personalities and broadcasters. A lot of people dislike him because he's a little loud and obnoxious, but I think he's hilarious and I find him to be a great on-air talent. It was great being able to meet him in person, and I have to say he's a very down-to-earth guy considering he is one of the best in the business at what he does.

I also got to meet Michael Eaves, a reporter for Fox Sports West. He came and spoke to some students at the Cronkite School about the challenges of being a sports reporter. He's a very nice guy as well. I was able to get a picture with him which is up on my twitter page, along with some pictures from last night's ASU game.

Let's move to the bad news, which is the NLCS. The Los Angeles Dodgers were absolutely humiliated tonight, as they were destroyed 11-0 at the hands of the Philadelphia Phillies. The Dodger offense has been terrible in the last two games, as they have only managed to get eight runs, and score two runs. Phillies pitcher Cliff Lee dominated the Dodgers tonight, as he went eight innings, struck out 10, and only allowed three hits. I guess it really didn't matter that the Dodger pitching was terrible, because with the way Lee was pitching, there was no way the offense was going to put up runs.

I've never doubted Dodger manager Joe Torre up until tonight. I don't know why he decided to start Hiroki Kuroda instead of Randy Wolf or Chad Billingsley. Kuroda had not pitched in over three weeks, and it showed tonight, as he couldn't even get out of the 2nd inning. He allowed six runs on six hits in just 1 1/3 inning. This was the most important game of the series, yet Torre decided to pitch Kuroda in a hostile environment, I just don't get it.

At this point it's the Phillies series to lose. They are up 2-1, they still have two more games at home, and they can still send Cole Hamels, Pedro Martinez, and Cliff Lee to the mound again. It will be a miracle if the Dodgers come back and win this series. Game 4 is tomorrow in Philadelphia, with the first pitch scheduled for 5:07 AZ time.

No comments:

Post a Comment