Friday, May 28, 2010

From Zero To Hero

After Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference Finals, the game in which Derek Fisher hit the "0.4" shot, Shaquille O'Neal said, "One lucky shot deserves another." Six years later that quote came to fruition, as Ron Artest hit the game-winning layup at the buzzer last night to give the Lakers a 103-101 victory against the Phoenix Suns. The layup came after Jason Richardson banked in a three pointer to tie the game with 3.5 seconds.

The Lakers now lead the best-of-seven series 3-2, and are one win away from reaching the NBA Finals for the third straight year.

I was glad to see Artest redeem himself last night after the horrible offensive decision he made that could have very well cost the Lakers the game. He took a three-pointer with 51 seconds left, but more importantly when there was 23 seconds left on the shot clock. I'm sure he would have been subject to scrutiny if the Lakers lost. It seems like Artest has been trying to fit in with the Lakers all season long, and last night he finally made his mark on the team.

As happy as I am that the Lakers won, I'm also a bit nervous. LA had an 18 point lead at one point in the third quarter, yet the Suns came all the way back and nearly forced overtime. The Lakers did a much better job defensively last night than they did in Game 4, but I'm a little worried about the offense. The Suns' zone defense has really limited LA's inside game. Andrew Bynum's been a complete non-factor in games 3-5. In 19 minutes last night, Drew had two points, seven rebounds, and five fouls. People also forget that Artest's game-winning layup was just his third and fourth points of the game.

The Lakers have the opportunity to close out the series tomorrow night in Phoenix. LA is 8-1 in their last nine close out game attempts, with the lone loss coming in the Houston series last year. As much as I'd love to see the Lakers finish the series tomorrow, I think the Suns will win and force a Game 7. Phoenix's bench will play much better at home, conversely I think LA's bench will again struggle on the road. I hope I'm wrong, but the Suns are a resilient group and are a tough team to beat at US Airways Center. With the way the Suns players were acting after last night's loss and when you keep in mind that they played poorly, yet came back from 18 points down on the road, it seems like a forgone conclusion that there will be a Game 7.

On a side note, I think the Lakers are just meant to give the Suns heartbreaking defeats in the playoffs. Flashback to Kobe Bryant's game-winner in 2006, and now last night with Ron Artest.

I'm going to the Angels game tonight. I'm excited since it will be my first time at the Big A. Isn't it funny that I'm going to see the "Los Angeles" Angels, yet I have to drive all the way to Anaheim, which is an hour or so past downtown?

No comments:

Post a Comment