Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Small Step Towards The Big Stage

I can honestly say that today was one of the best days I've had in my time here at Arizona State. I had the privilege of interviewing Petros Papadakis of Fox Sports Radio for my sports radio show. Many people find Petros to be obnoxious because of his loud voice and his exaggerative personality, but I find him to be one of the best radio personnel in the country, and one of the nicest guys in the business.

It all started when I was up in the press box for the Washington-Arizona State football game a couple of weeks ago. Petros was calling the game for Fox Sports Net, and I just so happened to run into him outside his booth. We had a short conversation which ended with him telling me to let him know if I ever needed anything from him. I emailed him that night thanking him for being so kind, and he got back to me quickly and once again reiterated to let him know if I ever needed anything. Since ASU is playing USC this weekend, I figured I would ask if he would come on the show I co-host since he was a former USC tailback, and is quite knowledgeable about college football. He got back to me and said he would be more than happy to come on, and after a couple of back-and-forth text messages, I arranged to have a one-on-one interview with him.

He called in this morning, and we talked for about 15 minutes. We talked about the state of the USC football program in addition to the ASU football program. I thought the interview went very well, so did Petros as he emailed me saying that was the best prepared college radio station interview he has ever done. He was very genuine and sincere about the whole interview process, and he said he was very happy that he could help out Arizona State student radio.

I know it's only one interview and I know Petros is human just like we all are, but it felt great to interview someone of his stature, and the interview once again reiterated my passion for wanting to go into sports media. Petros is a big name in the broadcast and radio industry, as he is a co-host for the most popular radio show in Los Angeles, which also happens to be a nationally syndicated show on Fox Sports Radio. I listen to his show everyday, and being that I'm a big fan of his, it was quite an honor to interview him one-on-one.

To listen to my interview with Petros, check out this week's podcast of the Sports Lounge. The interview takes place in our 2nd segment, which is about the 15 minute mark. To get to the podcast, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment